Peter Shields Moderates Press Conference at AACR Annual Meeting
April 21, 2009
Shields moderates a press conference at the AACR Annual Meeting
Peter Shields, MD, Lombardi's deputy director, was selected to moderate a press conference at the 2009 American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting. The briefing was held Monday, April 20, 2009 and focused on the topic, "Cancer Prevention: Diet, Lifestyle and Beyond." The session focused on five recent breakthroughs that were presented at the meeting.
Shields was selected to moderate because of his reputation as a leader in lifestyle prevention measures. A webcast of the press conference is available on the AACR website, and is also available for download.
"To effectively prevent cancer, we need a combination of lifestyle and pharmacologic measures. The science highlighted at the Annual Meeting will help us understand how we can best target our efforts toward the most appropriate populations," he told reporters.
Shields was quoted in a number of articles about the research presented at the press conference, including:
- AACR: Walnuts Prevent Breast Cancer in Mice (MedPage Today)
- AACR: Urine Test Might Predict Smokers' Cancer Risk (MedPage Today)
- Experts Highlight Inroads to Preventing Cancer (Forbes.com)
- A urine test may predict lung cancer risk (Science News)
- AACR: Green Tea Blocks Activity of Cancer Drug (MedPage Today)